Sunday 23 February 2014

English Journal...3 :D

21/02/2014 – Friday
Self-Development Video Assignment
     Assignments, assignments and assignments. In high-school, teacher gives us ‘homework’ for us to practice our knowledge on their subjects. Homework is annoying and boring. Honestly, I prefer doing my own homework (revision) rather than doing the homework given by the teachers. The difference is that I can go according to my own pace and not being rushed by the teachers in school. The homework that was given by my teachers are troublesome because I would get scolded, criticized and threatened if I did not complete them within the given time. On the contrary, my own homework does not have any punishment if I procrastinated on them.

Anyways, in college, instead of getting homework, we got assignments instead. Since assignments would be part of my subject mark, they will be compulsory for me to complete them within the given time. It may seem worse than homework but surprisingly, they are not. Assignments are much more fun and less boring compared to homework. For example, in college, my ‘Fundamentals of Business Management’s’ assignment would be an individual presentation which would amount to 20% for my overall subject mark. Whereas, in school, I get the usual ‘do question 1 to 5 for Add Maths’ homework which is so dull to me.  Normally, people would prefer doing homework than facing a crowd of people during presentation but since I’m an unusual person, presentation as assignment suits me fine.

Besides that, recently I have received a new assignment from one of my subjects which is ‘Self-Development Skills’. This assignment requires us(my classmates and I) to form a team of 10-12 people to produce a video related to self-development and team-development.  Initially, I just wanted to work with a team of 10 people (the minimum amount of people in a team). In my opinion, the less people I work with, the better because it’s easier to communicate. Although, I somehow joined a team that consists of 13 people and I just have to reluctantly accept that quietly. “Don’t ask me how that happened, it just did”, would be my thoughts.

We are all equals in the team. There is no higher or lower positions in that team but since no one seemed to be interested in taking charge, I took the lead. I never said that I’m better at leading than anyone else, but someone has to initiate the plan. All our marks are on the line, including mine after all. So, we discussed about our plans, I tried convincing everyone to chip in their ideas to contribute to the team and at the same time, to avoid them from feeling left out.

On the following week, we started dividing our work load so that everyone would contribute a certain amount of effort to the assignment. As I’ve learned in Business Management, conflicts will certainly arise in any organization due to various personalities, attitudes and opinions. In our situation, even if it was just a team that consists of 13 people trying to achieve a certain goal, inner conflicts within the team was unavoidable. Some of us had ideas of our own, some of us could not be bothered with the assignment, some of us complained about their given task, some of us were absent during discussions and the list goes on.

Despite all that, I dare say all of us managed to set our differences aside and had fun completing the assignment. The process of making the video was fun as each one of us chipped in our ideas and acted as different people in the video. 

“What is my last remark for this assignment?” You can say I enjoyed doing my self-development assignment with the team I was assigned to.     

-The End- 

Written by,
Bryan Yeong

(Cold-HeartedMe)
 Group discussion.

Fuyoh's turn to hold the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment